Comment by Anna — October 29, 2012 @ 8:02 am
Ain’t it the sad, sad, truth…
Comment by Jim Pemberton — October 29, 2012 @ 1:51 pm
No kidding. Too often this is the way church is done:
With your free membership to our club, you get all these benefits:
1. Free childcare.
2. Good musical performances once a week.
3. Great motivational speaking.
4. Free weddings and funerals for you and your family.
5. Other members to help you out when you get in a bind.
6. An on-call minister 24-7 to come and visit you in the hospital and to hear all your complaints and suggestions.
If you like what we have to offer you, we ask only that you help us out by a donation as you see fit to give and spread the word of what a great church you go to.
We do have some rules you’ll find out later:
1. Don’t be outlandish during the music. (Unless it’s a Charismatic church, where you will be expected to be outlandish.)
2. Don’t threaten a church leader’s niche. We don’t want to tick off our important wealthy people who pay for most of this stuff.
3. Clean up the kitchen if you use it. (If not, we’ll only complain about you behind your back so you don’t leave and go to another church.)
4. Don’t get the carpet dirty.
5. It’s okay to sleep during the motivational speaking. Just don’t snore.
Contrast that with Paul’s teaching on how the Body of Christ is supposed to function. Many pastors realize how it’s supposed to be, but too many deacons or other church leaders think the “gimme model” is the way to go.
On the other hand, when your pastor has it wrong…
Comment by Carol — October 29, 2012 @ 3:09 pm
The only thing they really need, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and that’s not even mentioned! How sad is that?
Comment by Dominic — October 30, 2012 @ 4:44 am
All we have to offer is the Truth.
Should we be offering something else?
Comment by Kate Akele — October 30, 2012 @ 6:30 am
Comment by Les — October 30, 2012 @ 12:37 pm
And then pastors whine about ‘needy’ congregants….
Comment by JD — October 31, 2012 @ 10:50 am
Maybe they will try to resurrect the spirit and methods of Tetzel to really draw the crowds and pay the bills. Where is the spirit of Luther to nail these issues to the door and start a reformation?
Comment by John Hicks Tew — October 31, 2012 @ 3:14 pm
I would suggest to prospective members that you buy your own Ipad and look for a church elsewhere.
Comment by Janis — October 31, 2012 @ 6:37 pm
Nice reference, JD….and timely.
Comment by gumbymonster — November 1, 2012 @ 10:25 am
I’m just glad they didn’t mention “purpose” on the sign. Cause that’s the only thing not tolerated at RW’s resort.
Comment by Helen — November 5, 2012 @ 7:20 am
“Whatever you need… we got it” – Or not, as the case may be.
Comment by SamWise — December 11, 2012 @ 1:00 pm
“Alas, the loiterers are many, but the labourers are few.” CHS
Comments are now closed.